Thursday, June 9, 2011

Spin Class & PB Cake


I forgot to take a picture until we already tried the cake last night.  It's not the prettiest cake anyway...  But it is delicious!
 I took my first spin class tonight with my sister.  We were super nervous about what to expect and praying that we would make it through the class without a. barfing and b. looking ridiculous. 
Well.... it was AWESOME!!
I can't say it would be great for everyone, but for me and my current fitness level it was perfect.  I can't wait to go back!

So do you think Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Ganache Frosting counts as my post-work out protein?
Okay, probably not.  But I'll definitely be having a sliver later this evening. :-)
If you like peanut butter and chocolate, you should totally try it!

Ingredients: 
for the cake:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
for the frosting:
2/3 cup milk*
3 T maple syrup
8 oz semisweet chocolate chips

How to do:
1. In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. 
2. Separately, cream the butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3.  Add the dry ingredients and the milk to the wet ingredients, alternating back and forth in thirds.
4. Pour the batter into a greased 8 inch cake pan.  Bake on 350 for 25 minutes or until the batter is pulling away from the edges.  Turn the cake over onto a plate and let cool.

After the cake is cooled, prepare the frosting.
1. Pour the chocolate chips into a bowl.
2.  Bring the milk to a simmer over the stove.
3. Pour the milk over the chocolate chips and add the maple syrup.  Stir until smooth.
4.  Let cool for about 15 minutes.  Pour the frosting over the cake (there's lots of pouring going on) and refrigerate for 25 minutes before diving in!
5.  Wipe the chocolate off of your face after you take a bite and it drips down your chin.

* The original recipe called for non-dairy milk.  I missed that detail and my frosting was a little bit clumpy.  I'm not sure if that is why, but I have my suspicions. 
By the way, this is the original recipe: Peanut Butter Cake.

I know spinning and cake probably don't seem like they go together in the same post, but let me explain.
I think if you are going to eat dessert, it might as well be something really really good.  Something that comes from your kitchen.  Not something chalk full (is that the expression I'm looking for?) of ingredients that you can't pronounce.  This cake is nothing short of fabulous.  It reminded me of a grown up Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment