The pasta bake recipe I posted last night called for your favorite red sauce.
Here is the recipe for mine.
I've adapted it from the Skinny Bitch in the Kitch cookbook.
2 tbsp EEOO
1/2 onion, diced
8-10 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp (10 or so) fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tbsp oregano or mixed dried herbs like an Italian mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp agave nectar, optional
How to do:
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, stir occasionally (making sure to avoid browning) for 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, again stirring.
2. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and bring to a boil by increasing the heat.
3. Once at a boil, remove from heat.
4. Stir in the red wine vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper.
5. If the sauce is too acidic, add the agave nectar.
Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Depending on what recipe I am using the sauce for, I like to use either diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano or fire roasted diced tomatoes. If you haven't tried fire roasted, you definitely should!!