Tuesday, May 31, 2011

FIESTA!

We LOVE Mexican food!

Chips and salsa is the favorite snack of probably 75% of the people I know.
It's one of my favorite snacks too.  I'm not sure if it's because everyone around me loves it so I just jumped on the bandwagon or what, but I do love it.  I like to pour some salsa from our giant Costco size container into a little bowl and add some fresh cilantro.  Money!


Benefits:  Anti-inflammatory capacities,
good source of fiber and iron,
and promotes healthy liver function, to name a few.

We have Mexican frequently and I typically make the following taco salad as my main dish.  It is delicious every single time.

We make 2-3 pounds of meat each time and have it on hand for the rest of the week's dinners.  I know a lot of people like to use turkey meat as a healthier alternative, but we like lean ground beef from our local meat market.

Taco Salad:
Brown 2-3 pounds ground beef. 
Drain the grease.
Season with taco seasoning and water according to directions on package.
(we use a big container of pre-made taco seasoning)
Let simmer until most of the juice is absorbed.
Add in both:
 Can Black Beans
Can Fat Free Refried Beans

For the salad part I use a random combination of the following vegetables and ingredients depending on what I have on hand:
Romaine lettuce- chopped
Tomato
Green onions
Cilantro leaves
Shredded cheese
Corn kernels- frozen or canned
Black olives, sliced
Bell peppers, chopped
Jalepenoes, chopped
Carrots, shaved
Light drizzle of Kraft Light Catalina dressing
5-7 Tortilla Chips crushed up

Mix it all together for a bowl full of fiesta fun!

This is just a very simple, easy to throw together recipe that we eat about every other week in the Breeze house.  It's filling without being too heavy and it's good all year round.  Feel free to get crazy with what you add in to your salad.
There are no rules and I encourage you to try new ingredients, especially veggies.   
This isn't the most glamorous recipe by any means, but a good one for any night of the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment