Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On My Mind Today: Oprah & Dinner

Today was the final show of Oprah's last season.  I got to know the Oprah show throughout my years in college and really started watching religiously in the last three or so years.  I'm so bummed that she ended the show and feel that as I go through my twenties and into adulthood, I could really use her message more than when I was younger.  But I'm very grateful for what wonderful information I received from her in the time I was able to watch her show and plan on using it to the best of my abilities.  Today's show in particular had many important messages. 

The following two caught my attention:
1. Embrace the life that is calling you and use your life to serve the world.
2. You are responsible for the energy you bring to yourself and to others. 
Oprah has a sign in her makeup room that states, "Please take responsibility for the energy you bring into this space."  I think this quote will stay with me forever.  If anything, I'm putting it up in my house and in my workplace so it'll be around for a while. 
Oprah also says that when you know more you do more.  I think that this blog is an example of me knowing more about a healthy diet/lifestyle and wanting to share what I know with my friends and family!  I feel it is my responsibility to do so and to do it as best as I can.  It's important to note, though, that it is a work in progress and as I continue to learn, I will continue to share...
Okay, okay so serious!  Oprah had me feeling very serious about my life today...

On a lighter note, let's talk Caesar!

Tonight for dinner we had Caesar salad wraps and homemade potato chips (they're a bit of a trend around here).  The wraps were light and delicious and have the potential to become a go-to quick dinner! Yea!

It was a rushed photo.  Notice someone already took a bite of their wrap and someone had three for dinner.  I won't tell whose plate is whose.
 
Here's what you need:
1 cup buttermilk (I obviously had no buttermilk so I put 1 tbsp vinegar in a measuring cup, filled it up to 1 cup with milk, let sit for 5 minutes, and
BAM- buttermilk!)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1/4 cup mayo (preferably light, I prefer the one made with olive oil)
6 or so chicken tenders or 1 chicken breast
1 - 1 1/2 heads romaine lettuce
Tomato slices
Tortillas, wraps, bread, or whatever you feel like eating the Caesar mix on.
I used a low carb, whole wheat tortilla and Breeze went with the always reliable, Mama Lupe's soft taco size tortillas - 3 to be exact (Shoot, I told). 

Here's what you do:
Combine the buttermilk, lemon juice, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.  Give it some salt and pepper.  Stir in the mayo.  Add the chicken, lettuce, and tomatoes and mix it all together.  Wrap the mixture in your wrap of choice and enjoy!

For dessert I chose to have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a leftover red velvet cookie crumbled in it, and a squirt of chocolate.  I served it to myself in a wine glass because Oprah has her morning smoothie every morning in a tall wine glass.  It's so fancy!  Makes eating or drinking anything much more special!  You should definitely try it! 


Fancy Ice cream

Don't forget to embrace your life and live it to the fullest- starting NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment